AB 1613 from Asm. Tim Donnelly

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ KillCarb Forum ]

Posted by “Dyno” Don B. on February 21, 2012 at 16:23:57

State Assemblyman Tim Donnelly, District 59; the High Desert, San Bernardino & Mountain area, Redlands, San Dimas, has sponsored an interesting bill. This bill would drop the smog check requirement at sale of a used vehicle. I remember when this law went into effect and I thought it was unnecessary. I have attached the Fact Sheet and the Bill and below text is a clip from the Fact Sheet:

“The current law is redundant, putting an unnecessary burden on hardworking Californians. In these tough economic times, a family that is selling a car should be able to keep more of their money instead of being forced to pay for a smog check that has already been done. This is simply a cleverly disguised tax that disproportionally affects the working poor, whose only purpose is to raise revenues for a massive bureaucracy.”

We all have sold vehicles and have had to handle this nuisance check one way or another and it was an unneeded expense, especially if the vehicle had a recent smog check. There could be concerns about modification of smog equipment, but when buying a used vehicle the old axiom “Buyer Beware” should apply.

I suggest you support Asm. Donnelly’s bill with a phone call or fax. Below is contact info, I suggest you fax.

District Office

15900 Smoketree Street, room 100
Hesperia, CA 92345
(760) 244-5277
(760) 244-5447 fax

Capitol Office

State Capitol, Rm. 2002
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 319-2059
(916) 319-2159 fax

Keep the Faith & Spread the Word

“Dyno” Don B.